Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for June 9th, 2005

 

Howard Dean strikes me as the John McEnroe of politics. He’s also got a huge Archie Bunker streak, making political hay out of ethnicity, religion and race in a very unflattering way. Can you imagine Jack Kennedy, Lloyd Bentson, or Joe Lieberman saying this?

“You think the Republican National Committee could get this many people of color in a single room?,” Dean asked to laughter. “Only if they had the hotel staff in here.” (Hat tip: La Shawn Barber)

I sure can’t. He seems to pull it off weekly now. What he fails to grasp is that what might get chortles from partisan supporters might not play well outside the room.

Dean told a forum of journalists and minority leaders Monday that Republicans are “not very friendly to different kinds of people, they are a pretty monolithic party … it’s pretty much a white, Christian party.”

Challenged on that during the NBC interview, Dean said “unfortunately, by and large it is. And they have the agenda of the conservative Christians.”

“This is a diversion from the issues that really matter: Social Security, and adequate job opportunity, strong public schools, a strong defense,” Dean said.

It’s not so much that he’s an outspoken guy (no law against that) or that he’s aggressive (Lord knows, the dems need a guy who isn’t afraid to go for the jugular). He’s simply not that smart. Here’s why I feel that way: for a guy whose political implosion came from one badly delivered scream speech, he hasn’t learned his lesson about the feeding frenzy that the press will have over any controversial thing he might say, however the context might explain things. That is why his last quote above is so telling. Dr. Dean, if you know that they will ignore 99% of what you say and sensationalize the other 1% you wish you could take back, stop giving them the material. I actually think he can’t help himself. He must be a poor impromptu speaker who chronically sticks his foot in his mouth when he goes off script. We used to see that in some sales trainees when I was in management. As soon as they went off script, they were lost. They couldn’t think on their feet and blew sale after sale. Other trainees were naturals and had a knack for building value even if they belched. Some guys have it, others don’t. Howard Dean doesn’t have it.

As a conservative, all I can say is please keep talking, Dr. Dean.

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

 

Anna Maria Louise Italiano, better known as Anne Bancroft, did not deserve to die of the ghastly effects of uterine cancer. While she may be best know for playing Mrs. Robinson, any one who has seen The Miracle Worker will agree that the Oscar she won for her portrayal of Annie Sullivan was well deserved. My thoughts and prayers are with her family, especially her husband of 41 years, Mel Brooks. You don’t see many Hollywood marriages that last that long. Then again, a Bronx girl and a Brooklyn guy can’t be that Hollywood.

I suppose this is poorly timed, but I have always wondered if those posters from The Graduate were actually of her leg.

Read Full Post »